MDS9222i ISLs & VSANs question?

Hi,

Question on configuring ISLs between a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches with VSANs:

I want to have an ISL (actually an FCIP link) between 2 VSANs, 1 each on a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches. I do not want the ISL to link any other VSANs on the switches

Switch1 Switch2 VSAN 10 VSAN 11 VSAN 20 VSAN 21 VSAN 30 ---ISL/FCIP--- VSAN 30

If I put the ISL ports (which in this case will be a fcip port) into VSAN 30 on each switch, is that sufficient to ensure that only those VSANs are linked? Or do I leave the ISL in the default VSAN and use a permitted VSAN list?

I have looked at the MDS documentation, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Instone-Cowie
Loading thread data ...

You'll want to use the trunk allowed list for what VSANs are permitted.

int fcip ... switchport trunk allowed vsan 30

They copied how the catalyst ethernet switches work for alot of the MDS line..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks. Do I need to put the interface in the VSAN as well? Or just leave it default?

vsan database vsan 30 interface fcip...

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Instone-Cowie

Actually you can do both.

Either use the allowed vsan list - in that case you still have a trunk sending frames with the EISL header for vsans that are in the allowed list.

Or turn off trunking and put the ISL in vsan 30 - in that case you will have normal FC frames on the link without the EISL header carrying the VSAN information.

You may want to consider the option of having VSAN 1 spanning the whole fabric for management purposes (e.g. you could run IPFC across it and use it as secondary inband route to switches). In that case I would put the link in native VSAN 1 and turn on trunking with the allowed VSAN list.

Otherwise if you do not suspend VSAN 1 and don't have a VSAN 1 link between your switches, you will have it show up as segmented in FM...

Hope it helps, Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Eberhardt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.