3 switch network

There are three 3750 switches. To create three networks. Each would need to communicate with each other. Interconnection between them will be trunk via the LC (gig) interface.

Do each of them need IP address? Would this work....

192.168.1.x 192.168.2.x 192.168.3.x with class C mask: 255.255.255.0 ?
Reply to
Sarastra Maya
Loading thread data ...

How would you connect to them with-out an IP address?

Reply to
gene martinez

I know that they would need IP addresses. My question was whether the IP scheme would work.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sarastra Maya

Well yes it would work. But it all depends what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it. A common architecture is creating VLANs on one server switch, and trunking those to the switches that need it. One VLAN would be the 'switch vlan', where the switches are IPed and can communicate with each other. The other vlans would be for servers, nodes, or whatever you want to setup.

The other common architecture is each switch (presuming they all support layer 3 interfaces), owns its own vlan or set of vlans, and advertises the rest via layer 3 routing. The benefit to this is the elimination of spanning tree, as well as simplicity depending how your datacenter is setup. Basically, you would still have networks for the switches to communicate to each other, but none would be trunks and all would need to run a routing protocol. This also requires significant IP design as you would want to be able to summarize on each of the switches and avoid /24 networks being everywhere.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but the simple answer is yes it can work, but it all depends how you are trying to design from a layer 2 and 3 perspective.........

Reply to
Trendkill

Originally, I was thinking of making a "flat network" for this. So, Net1 (192.168.1.1), Net2 (192.168.1.2), and Net3 (192.168.1.3);

I really want to keep this network as simple as possible, but at the same time do not want to flood every network with unecessary traffics; thus thinking that by seperating the three networks into three seperate subnets (192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, 192.168.3.x) would help. Now, I didn't know that I would have to run any routing algorithm with this scenario. What would you suggest? EIGRP?

Hopefully I didn't just confuse you guys with that....

Thanks!

Reply to
Sarastra Maya

If I were you, I'd turn up all three networks on whichever switch is most 'central', and trunk the vlans to the other two where you can assign ports as necessary. If you don't like this model, and really want each switch to be its own network, then yes eigrp is a safe route. Rip would be ok too if there are no slow links and the network isn't going to grow into a large WAN with various speed links....up to you.

Reply to
Trendkill

EIGRP is nice, but I think it's more or less overkill because EIGRP is designed for larger environments and needs more planning than simply install RIP. RIP on Cisco devices is very nice... router rip; network

192.168.16.0... :-)

As long as you don't need Cisco ACS Server everything is ok...

Reply to
Mario Iseli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.