logging executed commands on Cisco switch

Hi everybody,

I have a switch and a firewall. Firewall sends logs with the information who has logged in to it, when, from which IP and what commands executed to my syslog collector (linux server.) This is the configuration: logging enable logging timestamp logging trap notifications logging history informational

Reply to
aleu
Loading thread data ...

I believe that the only way to do this on a router is to use a TACACS server and configure command authentication. The TACACS server can be configured to log the commands for which authentication is requested.

Not sure though.

Interestingly router core dumps contain a list of recent commands that have been executed - but I dont even know if one can be forced.

Reply to
bod43

Seems I may have been wrong (again:). This does send it to the routers local log and it seems will be syslog(ged) too.

event manager applet CLIaccounting event cli pattern ".*" sync no skip no action 1.0 syslog priority informational msg "$_cli_msg" set 2.0 _exit_status 1

007148: Nov 28 17:21:29.055 GMT: %HA_EM-6-LOG: CLIaccounting: show logging 007149: Nov 28 17:21:38.744 GMT: %HA_EM-6-LOG: CLIaccounting: show running-config

From -

formatting link
I don't understand it (at present) - but this is very handy.

Reply to
bod43

Forgot to mention that this may be quite a new feature and it may not be available on your platform or software.

All I can say for sure is that it is present on 12.4(15)T7.

More here:- Table 2.

formatting link

Reply to
bod43

For IOS devices you might use the following to generate syslog entries for logins:

login block-for 120 attempts 4 within 120 login on-failure log login on-success log

... and the following to generate syslog entries for the executed commands:

archive log config logging enable notify syslog hidekeys

... if your platform and IOS version supports them.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Thank you guys. I will try both approaches. AL

Reply to
aleu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.