Learn to Setup C1801 and 1142n

Hi Group,

I am new to Cisco and I am about to start CCNA course in the next few weeks - but I want to learn as much as I can before to maximise what I get from the course.

Work has provided me an old C1801 router and spare 1142n Aironet with automous IOS installed to learn with. We have no CCNA as all our network support is outsourced.

I want to setup the 1142n to have a wireless network with WPA2 security.

I am confused about radius server section on the 1142n? Do I need to configure radius on the Cisco1801 to authenticate the WPA2 connections or is this done on the 1142n?

If I need to configure on the Cisco 1801 could someone point me to the command sets to review?

Also how do you factory default the 1142n as the one I have has had a previous setup which?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Smith
Loading thread data ...

Sure. I recommend reading the Cisco installation docs, and following along. Their documentation is pretty decent, the intro stuff does walk you through the basics pretty quickly and efficiently.

The router generally you'll be expected to do command line access on it with a serial port, so make sure you have a working serial port/USB dongle first and console cable.

Go through the motions of setting a simple IP address on an interface with the Quickstart guide.

The 1142 quickstart guides generally refer you to the web GUI on the box. It may just be me, but I feel the CLI is still much easier on the AP than the GUI, but the docs for the CLI of the 1142 aren't as good.

You need RADIUS in order to do enterprise level authentication, or if you are doing a more advanced security model with 802.1x and certificates and such. Cisco has both a built-in RADIUS server for authentication on the 1142, as well as the option to use an external one. Or you can forgo that altogether and just use pre-share-key (PSK). Cisco does de-emphasize PSK quite a bit for their WiFi stuff, but it can be done.

Start with the Quickstart guide, and the installation manual in the Cisco docs. I'd point you to some URL's, but Cisco.com seems to be down today right now. Sigh.

formatting link
's not just you!
formatting link
looks down from here.

Console in and 'write erase' and reboot. Or do you need to do password recovery?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Once you have some basics on your routers, be aware that you can now emulate a whole network of cisco routers on your PC.

Dynamips.

It runs real cisco code so you need to have access to real cisco software images. Someone with a clue might be able to find some on t'interwebby.

I might eventually read emails sent to me on this junk account.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.