Lan Design

Hi All,

Reworking the current LAN scheme. We are going to AD from NT4 and with this, I had planned to put all servers on a separate vlan along with the san.

Currently my DHCP server has two nics, one in vlan 211 and one in vlan

311. we have two scopes. Is there some benefit of this over having the dhcp in its own vlan and having the "ip helper" send dhcp packets to the server?

We have all dell switches on the different floors, with a 4507R at the core. I had planned on replacing them with cisco switches. The dell does not do trunking or VTP and is just basically the same thing as a linksys! Am i going to see some benefit in switching these and running trunks to the new switches over VTP? Also, If a client is on Vlan 311 and sends a DHCP request, if i only have one DHCP server, does the server know to give it a vlan 311 address and not a vlan 211 address? is there some benefit to having a dhcp on each client vlan?

TIA,

R
Reply to
rhltechie
Loading thread data ...

This will briefly explain how the DHCP server knows what address to assign.

formatting link
I would put the DHCP server on one subnet and use the helper if you have equipment capable of supporting this config.

As for your question regarding trunking multiple vlans, what kind of benefit are you looking for? There are what I would call operational efficiencies.

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Thanks for the info, thats what I was looking for.

As for the other question, I was just looking for anything that I might gain from switching out the dell with cisco switches.

Reply to
rhltechie

Better mgmt., more reliability, more features, but also more $$$.

:)

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.