Just Need Most Basic Router Config For Internet Connectivity - Please Help!!

I'm sure the answer to this question must be simple but try as I might, I can't get it to work! My situation is as follows:

I have an NTL Broadband Cable Modem which is ordinarily connected to a Belkin Wireless G Router (although I don't use the wireless capability

- just cables). Everything works fine. I want to swap this Belkin Wireless G Router for a Cisco 831 router running IOS 12.2 for reasons relating to my job.

With the full (and I think somewhat complicted!) config that was already on the router, I had no Internet connectivity at all. In order to troubleshoot, I stripped down the config to what I thought was the very most basic config required with the intention of putting it back line by line afterwards. Specifically, my basic config is as follows:

'ip address dhcp' on the external interface.

'ip address 10.3.6.1 255.255.255.0' on the internal interface.

'ip dhcp pool DHCPPool network 10.3.6.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 10.3.6.1 dns-server 10.2.1.2'

'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet1'

The router picks up an '81.102.x.x' IP address on the external interface just as it should however, still no connectivity whatsoever to the outside world.

Please help! I must be missing something but I don't know what it is! Many thanks in advance!

Reply to
rafael_romano299
Loading thread data ...

you will need to add NAT to you config.

access-list 1 permit 10.3.6.0 0.0.0.255 ip nat inside source list 1 int eth1 overload interface ethernet 0 ip nat inside interface ethernet 1 ip nat outside no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet1 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhCP

this should work. make shure that your dns is reachable. dont´t forget to implement some security features.

regards andre

Reply to
Andre Janssen

Thank you so much for your response Andre - you certainly pointed me in the right direction!

I had to further 'tweak' the default route to get it working though - it is now 'default route 10.3.6.1 255.255.255.255 ethernet1 permanent'.

I now have my full config back in place including all security.

Thank you again!

Reply to
rafael_romano299

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.