ISP routable addresses

Hi all, we have a Cisco ADSL ISR 871, the problem we have is that the ip on the ADSL interface is dynamically assigned by BT. BT have also given us a block of 6 routable addresses. So currently we have a static nat something like:

ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.10 172.xx.xx.xx

192.168.1.10 is the server address. This works an email is being delivered to the server on port 25.

We have a problem in that we want the router to have the static address so we can terminate vpn, and then forward port 25 onto the server for email.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Craig.

Reply to
corb
Loading thread data ...

"corb" ha scritto nel messaggio news:J8Jji.29494$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

Hi,

If I got it right and you have six registered addresses assigned, why not using them? ( i.e. assign one to a loopback interface of the router to terminate VPNs )

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Oh I got you. Can I also create a sub interface for additional IP addresses?

Reply to
corb

You don't need the sub-interfaces, the additional addresses are handled by standard NAT. Only reason for the loopback is because VPN requires a physical interface.

Reply to
Brian V

I see, so changing the loop back interface ip address will not effect any other operation?

Reply to
corb

It will affect the IP that your users would connect to for VPN, but that would be it's only function.

Reply to
Brian V

Thanks for all the info. I have had a look on the web would I be able to use:

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255 secondary

on the adsl interface to add a secondary IP address ?

Reply to
corb

I've never used a secondary address on a dhcp interface. If the router takes the command I don't see why not, I would do BUKU testing on it tho. If it were my setup or one of my customers I would be using a loopback to accomplish the goals.

Reply to
Brian V

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.