Moving users from NAT to static routable IP's

I work for a small ISP and we recently obtained our own IP addresses from Arin. Previously we were using IP addresses borrowed to us from Sprint, and during that time we set up all of our DSL customers behind a NAT pool on our 3660 router. The customers were assigned 10.50.x.x static IP addresses. After we got our own IP's we changed the NAT pool to use our new addresses. Any new customers that are set up now get a static routable IP assigned to them instead of a 10.50.x.x address.

My job is to get rid of the NAT pool completely. Migrate users from their 10.50.x.x address to a new static routable address. I have converted many over, but there are some people that I cant get in contact with via phone, email, etc... I am looking for a way to make the users web browser go to a specific webpage when they first open their web browser. I only want the users who are on a 10.50.x.x address to be routed to the webpage. I have seen this done at hotels, where they take you to their acceptable use page before you can continue on to your browsers default homepage. Is there any way to do this in our router? Send them to a certain webpage telling the customer that they need to change their IP address? Or could this be accomplished by way of our DNS server? Again, I only want the NATed users to be affected.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

The type of functionality you're looking for is called a "captive portal" and is available on a lot of open source routers like m0n0wall and pfsense. However as an ISP, I would be pretty cautious about putting things between my customers and and their destinations.

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

Nathan,

Thank you for your answer. I figured there must be a name for what I was trying to do, but I just couldnt find it. I will do some more research on capitive portal and see if that will work in our application.

Yes, you are correct about placing things between our customers and the internet. Could take things down in a hurry if it isnt reliable. We also have an Allot NetEnforcer that is in between our customers and the internet that does bandwidth shaping. I wonder if it would have a feature like this?

Thanks again for the info.

Russ

Nathan Harm>

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.