EXPERT Question: Local BRI is not ping-able?

I have 3 routers with an ISDN BRI (801,2503,2523) all with different versions of IOS (v12+) but with none i can ping my local BRI itself despite i can always ping to the "other side"

for example

hostname router1 interface bri 0 ip address 1.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 dialer map ip 1.0.0.2 (phonenumber_router2) ....

hostname router2 interface bri 0 ip address 1.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 dialer map ip 1.0.0.1 (phonenumber_router2) ....

router1#ping 1.0.0.2 (to the other router)

-->>bring up link .....

-->> 5/5 succes

router1#ping 1.0.01 (to the local interface)

-->>bring up link ....

-->> 0/5 succes

and same happens at the CLI of the other side ... it doenst matter what kind of DDR i use, i seem not to be able to ping my BRI localy, even if i use other router combinations. so this looks like a "normal" behavior.

can some expert explain me why please?

Reply to
polleke
Loading thread data ...

That is actually normal behaviour since BRI is multipoint interface. So, to ping your own IP, you have to map it using 'dialer map' too.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Partly solved:

Thanks a lot Ivan, multipoint interface was the keyword here. My first searchresults on the cisco site did not resolve to anything usefull at first, but the word "multipoint" did it :-) The most intresting i found on the cisco site for now was this:

---start copy of source:

formatting link
- Network Consultant, SC Communications, CCIE

Mar 29, 2003, 3:53am PST That's right. You cannot, by default, ping the routers own interface on: frame-relay physical interfaces frame-relay multipoint interfaces ISDN interfaces ATM physical interfaces ATM multipoint interfaces

In order to be able to ping your own interface you need to create a map statement on that interface, mapping that interface's own IP address to a PVC used by something else. EG ip address 123.123.123.254 frame-relay map ip 123.123.123.1 234 broadcast ! now put a map to our own interface without broadcast keyword frame relay map ip 123.123.123.254 234

On ISDN ! ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 dialer map ip 10.0.0.2 name cisco 555111111 broadcast dialer map ip 10.0.0.1 555111111 This will bring the ISDN link up when you ping own interface.

On ATM int atm2/0 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 pvc 0/222 protocol ip 10.1.1.2 broadcast protocol ip 10.1.1.1 ! Steve CCIE #11330

--- end copy

I've tested your solution and it works PERFECTLY :-) while the link is down, the int can't be pinged; but it activates the dialer, ... and is ping-able then So this is very consistent behaviour for me then :-) thanks a lot for your help.

Now i still need to find out how it can be done with DDR Dialer Profiles for ISDN The problem is that dialer maps and profiles can't be combined on the interface level (very logical) but even not on dialer level too

begin 666 spacer.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``)F9F0```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
polleke

I think you have partly answered your own question. By definition a dialer profile is a point to point connection and not a multipoint connection. Normally you use the command

dialer string (phonenumber_router2)

since you are only connecting to 1 remote router and not many in the multipoint case you do not need map statements for L3 to L2 resolution. Enter the dial string under the dialer interface and try pinging your own interface. It should work!!!

Beez

Reply to
Beezneez

CORRECT

Tested and it works as you said Beez So my problem is completely solved now :-) Thanks a lot for the help guys, i learned from it

I'll be back with harder questions one day ;-) (all questions look hard in the beginning until you know the solution ofcourse) Keep up the spirit guys !!

Reply to
polleke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.