Is WR TERM and SHOW CONFIG the same thing?

Hello. I am going to backup my PIX 515 config and was wondering if WR TERM and SHOW CONFIG is the same thing? I want to capture my config to a text file through Hyperterminal. Thanks.

Reply to
Corbin O'Reilly
Loading thread data ...

In IOS-based routers, "wr term" shows the running configuration, equivalent to "show running", while "show config" shows the startup configuration. I'm guessing that PIX is similar.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

It should be the same, however i'd suggest you install a free tftp server (there are tons of them) to save you some typing and typoes. write net sould save you sime time.

cheers Adam

A: No. Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

Reply to
Adam KOSA

show config is the equivalent of show startup-config. wr term is the equivalent of show running-config. After a write mem, they become the same.

While these perform functionally the same thing (after write mem), they may not be what you want. For example, if you have any ipsec configs in there, your isakmp key will not be displayed, you will just see ********. However, if you do a write net, the actual config will get saved. So, I would say, get a tftp server and do a write net. Freebie available at solarwinds.net.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.