Is there a way to restrict IOS ssh server to only accept certain ciphers?

For example, let's say I want to allow 3DES but not DES. Can I do that? I don't see any options in the IOS Security Configuration Guide or Reference, or in the O'Reilly IOS Cookbook...

Thanks in advance, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Heath Roberts wrote:

You have control over the version of SSH used on the Cisco device. e.g.: ip ssh version 2

I just did a capture and found the following on the Server Key Exchange which suggests that the SSHv2 on my device, doesn't support single DES:

Take a look and see if you agree:

SSH Protocol SSH Version 2 Packet Length: 276 Padding Length: 4 Key Exchange Msg code: Key Exchange Init (20) Algorithms Cookie: A19351FD6DAA335B5A7EED46E647C9FB kex_algorithms length: 26 kex_algorithms string: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 server_host_key_algorithms length: 7 server_host_key_algorithms string: ssh-rsa encryption_algorithms_client_to_server length: 41 encryption_algorithms_client_to_server string: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc encryption_algorithms_server_to_client length: 41 encryption_algorithms_server_to_client string: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc mac_algorithms_client_to_server length: 43 mac_algorithms_client_to_server string: hmac-sha1,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5,hmac-md5-96 mac_algorithms_server_to_client length: 43 mac_algorithms_server_to_client string: hmac-sha1,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5,hmac-md5-96 compression_algorithms_client_to_server length: 4 compression_algorithms_client_to_server string: none compression_algorithms_server_to_client length: 4 compression_algorithms_server_to_client string: none languages_client_to_server length: 0 languages_server_to_client length: 0 Payload: 0000000000 Padding String:

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

string: none

string: none

Thanks. Restricting to v2 had occurred to me, since I don't think DES is typically included, but I don't see that formally spelled out anywhere, and I would prefer more positive control--what would we do if one of the other protocols is broken in the near future?

Any other options folks can think of?

Reply to
Heath Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.