ip helper / dhcp / source address

Dear all, i just wanted to check what the source address of the IP packet that is generated by a router configured with 'ip helper A.B.C.D' on a local interface would be.

i need to know this as the router is connected via an IPSEC VPN (crypto enabled on the dialer0 interface) to a central location on which the DHCP server is connected, and i need to be sure that the forwarded dhcp request will generate crytpo.

Thanks

Reply to
GT
Loading thread data ...

It should be the IP of the SVI that received the DHCP request. To put it more clearly, if a node broadcasts a request for an IP, whatever router interface received that broadcast will be used as the source IP of the request so that the DHCP server knows which subnet to give an IP from. That is my understanding, but have never really sniffed the dhcp server side of the request.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for post reply.

one (poss dum qu !) - what does SVI stand for ?

Reply to
GT

Switched virtual interface. If you are running a layer 3 switch or layer 2 with MSFC, its the vlan interface. Its basically the layer 3 interface in a network that generally acts as an entry/exit point to the subnet/vlan. If you are running a router on a stick (router to a switch), then the f0/1 or g0/1 would be the SVI, although in this situation its usually just referred to as an interface.

Reply to
Trendkill

Reply to
Merv

I am not in any sense complaining by the way - just wanted to mention ways to find out.

Run wireshark/tcpdump/windump/other on a test "DHCPserver" that is not accessed via VPN. Note that the machine does not actually have to be a DHCP server, any computer that will let you see the incoming packets will do. You don't need to see what it sends back. Could probably do it all on the local subnet but that would not produce such a convincing result.

on router, - there MAY be a debug for UDP forwarding - debug ip packet

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.