IP addresses management tool

Currenlty using Nortel NET ID for our IP address and DNS management.

What IP addresses management tools are being used and how would you rate them ?

I am looking into what other choices I would have other than NetID product that I am currently using.

I was hoping to find an opensource product (do not mind paying something and for support if a supported version avialable, hopefully something that does not use oracle or other high priced database, perfer SQL on Linux.

I just need basic IP address management, would like to have administrative zones but could live without, also like the template function of NetID.

Would like to be able to tie in DNS (and DDNS) and possible DHCP although can live without the DHCP support.

Thanks for any help.... MC

Reply to
MC
Loading thread data ...

I am not aware of any open source IP address management products out there. We have been using Lucent's VitalQIP for the last five or six years, and have found it to be a great tool. About two years ago the company I work for was acquired by and they did not used another product. Since we were using different systems, we did a analysis of all of the products that were out there. We did not find any open source products (other than a spreadsheet, LOL) We ended up staying with QIP because in our opinion, it was the best product out there for us. Cisco's Network Registrar was a very good product and pretty inexpensive. Not as sophisticated as QIP, but it sounds like you are a pretty small shop and this would work well for you. Google "IP address management" and you will find quite a few reviews. QIP is just always rated #1 or #2, and it is definitely the Cadillac in this area.

Reply to
thrill5

My employer is also currently seeking a long term IP management solution and these are some of the products we are looking at.

As far as open source... I would look at IPplan

formatting link
it looks very promising, seems to do quite a lot and offer a lot of features you would normally pay big bucks for.

As far as commercial, I really like the products from

formatting link
and
formatting link
Both seem to do just about everything you would ever need. Both offer very scalable solutions and even offer DNS and DHCP all in one box. I really like the central administration of these products.

Reply to
Kevin Soliz

Thanks a lot, I will give these a look at. MC

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.