IP address switch

Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC adresses?

Reply to
thejim
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the Switch. Unmanaged typically do not. Managed switches typically do.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Layer 2 switches have IP addresses for managing the network. Lets say you need to reverse telnet to edit configurations.

I learned that the command

interface VLAN 1

is used to setup a management interface for the switch. What you need to do is set an ip address and default gateway so you can access this interface and configure the switch remotely. Intially these parameters need to be setup from the console.

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Correction: *some* Layer 2 switches have IP addresses. A bunch of them have no IP addresses at all, and are only configurable over the serial port, or via push buttons or jumpers, or are not configurable at all.

Not on non-Cisco brands it isn't. That isn't even what you would do on Cisco's Linksys brand.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Oh, my mistake. You can setup a Cisco 2950 with "interface VLAN 1" and the ip address of your choice if you need inband management. Its not default, but its an option. Its mentioned in the CCNA ICND textbook as a possible scenario for configuring inband management.

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

The Cisco ICND book could be wrong but I doubt it.

Reply to
Paul.Parish

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.