IP address of 837

Hi,

I have an 837 which is running as (amongst other roles) the default gateway for the lan. We recently changed our lan IP address range from class b to class c. I changed the 837 IP address with the Cisco web interface (CRWS). It works fine in most respects. However, from a command line the Internet address of Ethernet0 is shown as the old class b address, and the new class c IP address is shown as the secondary ip address. As follows:

Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up Internet address is 128.66.1.250/16 Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 Address determined by non-volatile memory MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Secondary address 192.168.10.250/24

I have also noticed that when I ping an external Ip address from a machine that is denied external access by an ACL, I get a message coming back as "Destination Net Unreachable" which is what I'd expect but the message says it comes "from" the old class b ip address.

So, my question, (for anyone with the knowledge and inclination to help!), is - how do I change it the IP address from the old class b one, and what should I change it to?

Thanks in advance, SW

Reply to
S W
Loading thread data ...

conf t int Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0

"what should I change it to?"

That's up to you!

Reply to
chris

Thanks, Chris. I asked what to change it to because it is called the Internet address, and I wasn't sure if it needs to be the external IP address or not. And so if I change it to 192.168.10.250, then it will have the same address as listed as "Secondary address". Does that matter?

Regards, SW

Reply to
S W

I think you may need to remove the secondary addres first.

en conf t int Ethernet0 no ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0 sec ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0

end

copy run start

You will need to do this from a directly connected console since IP comms may be lost.

Reply to
Bod43

On an 837 the Ethernet0 address is the LAN port and ATM0/Dialer1/BVI1 (whatever you have) is the public address. Or at least that's one way to do it.

If you add in 192.168.10.250 as the main address then the secondary will disappear.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I didn't need to remove the secondary address first. All is OK now.

Regards, SW

Reply to
S W

That's what I did.

Thanks for your help, Regards, SW

Reply to
S W

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.