If I buy Linksys Router in US, Is it universal compliance?

If I but Linksys Router in USA, can I use that Router any where in the world?. Does it has to passthrough any compliance certification?.

I can FCC and CE certification on the back, some of them I can see UL certification, b.t.w what is this UL certification?. Thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

In article , GS wrote: :If I but Linksys Router in USA, can I use that Router any where in the :world?.

In theory, probably not.

:Does it has to passthrough any compliance certification?.

I would think it likely that there are countries where certification would be required, as a trade-protection measure if nothing else.

:I can FCC and CE certification on the back, some of them I can see UL :certification, b.t.w what is this UL certification?. Thanks.

UL is Underwriters Laboratory, of meaning in Canada.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I guess it would depend entirley on the country, the world isn't seperated into US countries and NON-US countries you know ;-)

I doubt you'd have any problems though, who's going to care?

Reply to
Phil Watkins

The big problem you'll run into, as a practical matter, is power supplies. If you can get a power supply for the same output voltage, polarity, and amperage with the correct input voltage, you'll be able to use it.

Wireless band allowances are different in different countries though, so you may want to stick with the ethernet stuff, which is the same worldwide.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Pratt

There is quite a lot about this in the cisco aironet documentation.

The max permitted power varies from place to place and the number of channels varies. In some places some channels are reserved for indoor use and others for outdoor.

The UK for example has 2 extra channels 1-13 in total (US 1-11 IIRC) however the maximum power density is limited to that which would be obtained with 100mw through an omni-directional antenna. Basically no directional antennas unless you reduce the power to the level you would have had if you didn't have the fancy antenna.

I cannot imagine that this is likely to be closely monitored by the authorities:)

London (for example:) is littered with pirate FM broadcast stations blasting out what I take to be thousands of times as much power and they seem to be impossible to stop.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.