hsrp source address

Hi, Can someone tell me in an hsrp active/standby pair, when the active router forwards a packet is the source address (mac address) of the physical active router or the hsrp virtual address? Thanks

Reply to
cconnell_1
Loading thread data ...

Based on my machine's arp table, the mac is a virtual mac for .1. The actual addresses (.2 and .3 in this case) have different macs. Additionally, it's not always a 'physical' active router, as in many cases its a SVI. In this case the SVIs have their own macs, and the hsrp address also has the virtual. In the cisco world, the SVI macs would usually start with 00d0 and the hsrp mac would be 0000.0c07.ac01.

Reply to
Trendkill

I stand corrected. While the arp entry for .1 is the hsrp virtual mac, packets forwarded by the active router have the real mac of the SVI it looks like. You can run wireshark (formerly Ethereal) and see for yourself.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.