6513 with HSRP and F5 causing Dropped packets

I have 2 6513's with HSRP set up I have 2 F5 downstream boxes. I noticed that when the HSRP message between the 6513's is broadcasted on 224.0.0.2 that a tcpdump on the F5 shows that the HSRP message is seen by the F5. Is there a way to setup the 6513's so the HSRP doesn't go out certain VLANS? The F5 drops these packets.

Reply to
Sportinus
Loading thread data ...

HSRP packets go only between switches/routers, where it is configured, and only on VLANs, where it is configured. All other devices should ignore these packets.

HSRP works this way - you setup an interfaces on two adjacent routers to participate in HSRP group. Each interface is configured with it's own IP address (they should be in the same subnet though). Then you define a "virtual IP address", shared between these two interfaces. HSRP group generates a MAC address for this virtual IP address, and sends it in response to ARP request. Then packet gets to an "active" interface with higher HSRP priority. If active interface goes down, then standby interface gets active, and all packets go to second switch.

In your F5 appliances you should configure similar thing, but is should be completely separate from what you have in your Cisco switches (you should use different physical and virtual IP addresses), however again, they should be in the same subnet as your routers and HSRP address. On the F5 appliance you should configure a routing, pointing to a virtual IP address (HSRP address), and in the routers you should point to an virtual F5 IP address.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

The packet addressed to a multicast destination address will be converted to a layer 2 broadcast that all the machines in a vlan will receive. The way you would block this from the F5 ever seeing it is to use IGMP snooping on the access switches that connect to the F5.

Scott

formatting link

Sport> I have 2 6513's with HSRP set up I have 2 F5 downstream boxes. I

Reply to
xpresslearn.com

HSRP packets are sent to the ALL-ROUTERS multicast address 224.0.0.2

At layer 2 they will be transmitted as a MULTICAST using a multicast MAC address of 01-00-5e-00-00-02.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.