Keeping VoIP calls up while high IP Input process cpu time

Hello,

I was having a problem with a router that I'm not sure how's the best way to prevent it from happening again. I have a MC3810 running 12.3, and it provides a PRI and NAT through a T1 data connection.

One of the computers running through the NAT got a virus and started opening up thousands of connections to port 443 per second. This caused the IP Input process to max out the CPU time, and as a side effect VoIP calls couldn't go through.

I fixed the problem with an access list so that port won't be a problem in the future, however, I'm sure at some time some other virus will cause a similar problem with another port.

Is there any way I can force the router to still handle VoIP calls even with a high CPU utilization? I know the IP Input process is obvoisly important for VoIP calls too, but I wonder if there is a way I could give higher preferences to certain types of activity over others.

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian McCrary
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

you should configure QOS on your MC3810. QOS allowa you to priorize the VOIP over the remaining traffic.

Andre

formatting link

Reply to
Andre Janssen

QoS is the way to go to prioritize VoIP in a high traffic enviornment. On a side note though, in 12.3(14)T and later versions of IOS you can now use the "ip nat translation max-entries all-host " command to limit the number of NAT sessions on a per-host basis.This allows only X number of translations to be built per unique source ip address.

Reply to
Anthony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.