help me find Cisco router for certification prepration at home

hi.. I am a newbie to Networking.. and wish to start learn CISCO CCNA.. But have no idea about, which device should be used setup lab at home .. I need to buy a device that would help me in many other CISCO certifications. I found one

formatting link
851w wireless router... i need a device similar to it..... plz help me to find the right device .. thanx in advance...

Reply to
yogi
Loading thread data ...

Well, its not going to do everything for you, but as you progress to higher levels, you need to know about *lots* of different types of devices, having a low-end entry level cisco in physical hardware form that you can mess with certainly will help you.

I would rather have a newer faster entry level device than an older slower next step up. (ie. used 2610), although the used 2610 might support more features for learning, it already fell off the IOS development support, so having something new that can run the latest code is better, especially if you want to keep using it.. I think an

1841 would be better, but of course that would be a bit more cash for it.

Alot of the other devices you'll need to learn could very well be emulated with Dynamips/GNS3 in software emulation, although there is something to be said about plugging in cables and tracing cables back as well.

But having at least one router and one switch in hardware will definately help you out right now. A used catalyst 2950 switch probably will be sufficient for what you need to learn at CCNA and CCNP, you'd have do more for higher levels.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I recommend the Cisco 3600 series off ebay. Employers in job descriptions are asking for the newer routers and switches. You can see my at home lab at :

Password= howard

formatting link

Doug Mc>yogi writes:

Reply to
Howard Huntley

begin 644 url-labs.txt M070@:&]M92!,04)S#0H-"E!A

Reply to
Howard Huntley

And just how is a 3600 newer than the routers we were talking about? Its older by far than all of the ones mentioned?? Even its direct replacement is EOL'd for the next one in the series.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.