From 1720 to 1841

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding migrating from a Cisco 1720, which was configured to support VPN and firewall, using ADSL.

Now we would like to move to an Ethernet 10/10 connection.The provider offers a Cisco 1841.

My questions: a) Can I just export/import the config settings - as displayed, using show run - from the old router to the new?

b) I want to keep the ADSL connection basically as a backup feed, optimally as a backup feed, which is also used, but only until the maximum allowed data transfer per month is not yet reached.

Can I reach this goal with the 1720 and 1841 or it would require a different, single router, which is able to handle and bond together both connections, monitor them for fail over if the 10/10 link is down and keeping track how far can the ADSL link also be utilized as an extra resource?

c) I also have a Cisco Pix available - does it have an advantage over the firewall function in the 1841?

d) Is it possible to use maybe Snort for a real-time, dynamic update of the Cisco firewall rules, in case an attack is detected?

Thank you for all the kind advice.

Regards, Nick

Reply to
random.nick
Loading thread data ...

Hi Nick,

I am sure you could download the config from a 1720 nd upload on

1841.The only thing is the interfaces (if they are not same).

Cannot commet on snort but PIX would certainly be a good candidate for firewalling than a Cisco router.

-Aman snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ajsingh007

Reply to
random.nick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.