Cisco ISDN router as CPE

Hi: I have two Cisco 800 series routers, each with ISDN U interfaces. Is there any way I can setup one of these as DCE, so that the two routers can talk to each other in the lab?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Z
Loading thread data ...

I am pretty sure the answer is no. You need an ISDN simulator or even a PABX. Loads of the latter are being ripped out of offices large and small as people move to VoIP.

e.g.

formatting link
?_kw=panasonic+telephone+system+pabx+heymotThese are random example searches.

Or of course Dynamips may suit your purpose.

Reply to
bod43

Alternatively, the OP may like to try an ISDN card in a PC, as some can be switched between TE and NT mode.

Reply to
alexd

The OP would have to find a card that did SWITCH/CentralOffice emulation. If he could, then the second challenge would be to find an old PC which will work the the (old) card. PC architecture has changed over the years, and these older cards just don't work on newer platforms. Then there's the driver issue..... It all makes you realize that the price for a postage stamp isn't all that bad after all. All the best and enjoy summer !

Reply to
John Agosta

OK, thanks for all the info. This is just for my own testing and studying, and it sounds like waaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than it's worth. I'll stick with the router simulators for now.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tony Z

ISDN has ben removed from just about every cisco cert, anyway, so you're not going to miss anything.

Reply to
John Agosta

Oh, they'll miss all the joys of trying to get the LEC to understand that their switch is yet again misprovisioned for a BRI data service, and to try to find that one tech that understands what ISDN might be and that can make it work again in the LEC's switch.

Although there is some of that with PRI termination, but it seems to be regulated to just matching up the number formats and strange callerID settings now.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, if you want to get into voice then there is no harm in playing with ISDN since ISDN PRI is still what telcos use for end user provisioning (well for decent sized businesses). One day I am sure it will all be over ethernet. Unless someone comes up with a better idea.

For data networking, it is all gone - more or less.

ISDN simulator is VERY easy to use. PABX, no idea, but how hard can it be?

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.