dot1q tunnelling

I have 3 networks that are planned to combine into 1. Each has been using their own VLAN numbering schemes, and they overlap. None of the network admins want to renumber the VLAN port assignments on their entire network.

We have looked at dot1qtruking to allow us all to use our current VLAN tags for running over common metro ethernet trunks.

I have seen examples of how to set up a port on our metro edge switch to do dot1q tunnelling. How do I specify which VLAN5 comes out at site B.

I know there are external and internal dot1q tags, but how do I designate this on the switch configuration.

Reply to
thcollicutt
Loading thread data ...

On 30.11.2005 19:24 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

You don't at all. You simply say that the interface is an QinQ port and that's it. Everything tunneled into this port will be visible on all other ports in that vlan.

e.g. in CatOS you would say

set port dot1qtunnel 5/2 access

HTH, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

So if I also had set vlan 75 5/2 , everything that was tunneled in would be visable to another port set to VLAN 75 and dot1qtunnelled, whereas If I set it to VLAN 54 I would see the VLANs of the other network?

Reply to
thcollicutt

On 30.11.2005 21:05 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

exactly ... iirc all other ports also have to be dot1qtunnel access ports.

exactly. The advantage is that you only need one vlan to tunnel all other vlans.

Be aware: dot1qtunnel needs jumbo frames which are not available on all modules which transport dot1qtunnel frames. BTDT :-(

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Thanks. I've seen various examples, but that wasn't made very clear. I'm glad I understood correctly.

Reply to
thcollicutt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.