DMZ Switch Problems on ASA Failover

I have a couple of ASA devices - the subnets they sit on are as follows:

Inside - 172.29.1.0 / 24 (ASA's are .6 & .7) DMZ - 172.28.1.0 / 24 (ASA are .1 & .2)

Off each of the DMZ ports I have a 2950 switch (each connects to it's respective ASA via Fa(0/1). The 2950's then connect to each other for redundancy by their Fa0/8 ports.

The IP's addresses on each switch are 172.28.1.3 (connected to Primary ASA) & 172.28.1.4 (Connected to Failover ASA)

In normal working conditions I can ping from my inside routers to the switches off the DMZ ports and get a good response. When I failover the ASA's I get loads of dropped packets - some hits & some misses.

If I fail back to the Primary I find my pings are hit and miss again. If I failover again to the Secondary and do a reboot on this ASA and the DMZ switch connected to it all goes back to normal.

I suspected that the switch may be encountering problems when the MAC addresses & IP's are swapped over on failover.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with dropped pings on failover ?

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green
Loading thread data ...

Not sure if its any help, but I am doing the same thing with 3750's and I put all the ports on the same VLAN (Assume you are trunking properly betweenthe 2950's, Im doing it via the stack cable)

Ta

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Thanks AJ.

I think the problem was with the Cable connecting the 2 x switches. I got one of my colleagues to change it and add another cable for resilience.

All working fine now.

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.