Data & VoIP Subnet Schema (Design Question)

Hi,

Can somebody give me a clue what would be the best addressing scheme for depolying voice on existing 10.21.x.x addressing scheme ?

Does 192.168.x.x make any sense ? Should I use 10.22.x.x. What is your opinion and what is the best practice about introducing voice onto existing network ?

Thank you for all responses in advance !

Reply to
NetWorkMan
Loading thread data ...

It doesn't matter what you use, just keep it separate from data traffic. If you are running traffic on 10.21.1.0, run voice on 2.0. If your entire 10.21 is carved up for data (which would be quite a large lan), then yes, use 192.168 or 10.22. The IP number itself doesn't matter, just keep it separate so it doesn't content (at least easily) w/ data traffic, and it allows you to more easily utilize QoS since it will be vlaned and subnetted different than the rest of your networks.

Reply to
Trendkill

As the other poster stated, it really has nothing to do with the IP addressing. Its all about your subnetting, and even more importantly your vlans.

Here are some of the common practices:

1. One subnet for voice and one for data for each access switch.
  2. One vlan for voice and one for data ideally applied to each access switch as well.
  3. Voice and data traffic should be seperate, data side should not be able to affect voice.

Now, as for #3 I have found this is the best practice and it is what I think you will find others recommend as well. But it creates a problem when you allow users access to say the ccmuser site and other things. I think people will suggest you restrict access between the vlans / subnets to only allow the traffic you need. So maybe an ACL saying data subnet can access port 80 on the callmanager or something.

As for the ip addressing Trendkill is right. It doesn't matter. Ideally I would use something in the 10.22.x.x range if there is an unused subnet. But even the 192.168 would work.

Reply to
TechGuy

Thank you for your replies.

Reply to
NetWorkMan

If I use 192.168.x.x. will that cause discontinuous networks problem down the line ? Possibly with some firewalls ?

Reply to
NetWorkMan

only if you run a routing protocol that cannot cope with it - RIP v1 or IGRP are the common ones.

use OSPF, RIP v2 or EIGRP and you will be fine.

Reply to
stephen

ok thank you.

Reply to
NetWorkMan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.