New Technology Poses 911 Peril VOIP Not Part of Emergency System

My commentary follows the excerpts ...

formatting link
New technology poses 911 peril Voice over Internet Protocol lines not part of emergency system

Saturday, April 16, 2005 BY ART AISNER News Staff Reporter

Joe Lawrence had no idea what was causing the delay.

His friend, who had turned ashen just minutes before while they sat together at a meeting at the VFW post in Ypsilanti, was now doubled over a chair having difficulty breathing.

Panicked that it might be a heart attack or stroke in progress, Lawrence, an Ypsilanti attorney, called 911 from the organization's house phone. A police dispatcher responded, but crucial minutes passed as Lawrence and the dispatcher tried to determine the exact location because the phone line Lawrence used was no longer part of the 911 system.

"If it wasn't the silliest thing, but the hang-up was I couldn't give them an exact address, and he was in trouble," said Lawrence, who ultimately had to run across Michigan Avenue to the Ypsilanti Fire Department before help arrived.

After Lawrence complained to Ypsilanti Police Chief George Basar, authorities determined that the call went to a private line in the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department instead of going to 911 dispatch.

The reason? The VFW post was using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), a new technology that transmits phone calls through broadband Internet connections rather than traditional phone lines.

As it turned out, Lawrence's friend recovered after being hospitalized for several days with an undetermined ailment.

But, Basar said, the incident illustrates a serious flaw in the technology that more and more residents and businesses are using to save money on phone service.

[.....] [Vonage Representative] Schulz said E-911 is still only built to work on local phone lines, but users in Rhode Island have had little trouble in the six months since Vonage offered it to subscribers there. Rhode Island is the only place where Vonage offers the service because the state owns the phone lines, she said.

In other states, Michigan included, phone companies are barring access for competitive reasons, she charged.

There's some truth to it, Stofega said. But ultimately, it's up to the providers to meet their customers' demands or either the market or the regulators will prevail.

[COMMENT: Okay, if there is some truth to it, then why does almost everyone in the press play toady for the big phone companies and try to lay all the blame on the VoIP companies alone? It sure appears that the incumbents are making interconnection difficult solely for competitive reasons, and that where the incumbents don't control the 911 system (as in Rhode Island), VoIP companies find it is much easier to make the proper connections. I will just point out that if a life is ever lost because someone cannot reach 911, and it turns out that the incumbent phone company attempted to limit access to the 911 system for competitive reasons, and the matter goes to court in a civil trial, I don't think the big phone company involved will be able to evade responsibility for their part in creating the situation - the lawyers will surely dig much deeper into the mess than most reporters do.

Please understand what I am saying here -- if an ILEC is making access to the 911 system difficult for VoIP providers because they think it gives them a competitive edge, they are creating a condition where someone might die, solely to enhance their bottom line. Since most ILEC's have much deeper pockets than VoIP providers (always a consideration in a lawsuit) and since there is a good probability that any jury of twelve people will include at least one or two that have had bad experiences with the phone company at some time in the past (even if they don't remember those experiences consciously), I think the ILEC's are playing with fire here. And as I say, lawyers are not going to make the sort of shallow investigations that most newspaper reporters do, nor are they going to buy into the ILEC-produced propaganda funneled through astroturf public interest groups.

Now having said all that, the other side of the coin is that 911 access might in fact be available in Michigan. For example, John Lodden has informed me that his company (Telesthetic/Local Exchange Carriers of Michigan) has access to all the 911 centers in Michigan and could provide access to VoIP companies, however at present none of the large VoIP companies are utilizing that access (I hope I am saying that accurately -- I'm working from memory here and apologize to John if I'm mis-stating that in any way). I can understand that most VoIP companies would probably like some sort of nationwide standard for interconnection to 911 centers, and are hoping for some type of FCC action that will establish a nationwide standard, so they don't have to do something different in each of the 50 states, and that costs might be prohibitive if they have to use a different means of access in each of the states.

Ultimately I think the FCC is probably going to have to mandate some sort of national standard for 911 interconnection that will force the ILEC's to open up their systems whether they want to or not. For those who whine that this unjustly takes what the phone companies have built, I again remind you that the foundation for 911 was built while the ILEC's were MONOPOLY providers that enjoyed government-protected profit margins (even today that's still essentially the case for some smaller ILEC's), and that in many cases the existing 911 system was foisted upon the public in a sweetheart deal between the ILEC's and local units of government, who loved the idea that they could force people to pay for the system via phone bills instead of doing it the proper way, which was to go to the voters and ask for funding via the normal tax mechanisms already in place.

So now the 911 centers are stuck with technology that only works really well with the existing wireline network, and yet nobody in the press seems to want to blame the real culprits, which are the ILEC's that set up such technologically-mediocre systems, and their co-conspirators in local governments who saw an opportunity to bypass the voters in the decision making process. No, it's much easier to lay all the blame on the VoIP companies, which have only been in business for less than a couple of years (in most cases) and who had no say at all into how the existing 911 system was designed. It doesn't make sense to me, and my hope is that the FCC and the courts (should the matter ever wind up in the courts) will see the issue with much greater clarity than most of the toady reporters that have been writing these stories, apparently based solely on press releases and other ILEC propaganda.]

Full story at:

formatting link
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Here in Independence, where we are a little more backward in our telecom, it seems, the city has a phone in the telecom area which is specifically designated for the job of 'emergency, but not 911 equipped calls'. It is not some 'private line in a back office somewhere' as seems to be the case in Ypsilanti or Brooklyn, NY. The phone terminates in a place where experienced professionals can deal with the calls, even though said calls do not come through the equipment looking like 'regular' 911 calls. VOIP carriers _have to take the word of the various agencies_ that a call is being terminated where it can be best handled. Should the VOIP carriers have to personally audit each community to assure this? Vonage, at least, apparently tries to confirm these things *before* they send email to the subscriber telling them that 911 has been turned on. If you combine the often-times careless and casual, public- be-damned attitudes of our government employees with the propoganda coming out of Bell, you are bound to get these problems at times. PAT]

Reply to
Jack Decker
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.