cross cable between PIX and Cisco router

Hello !

Yesterday, installed a PIX for first time. Plugged the yellow cable on the outside port and connected to the Cisco router but that didn't work. The cable is straight.

Then we plugged a cross cable from us and it worked.

Any explanation about that ? Why does Cisco give cable that don't work, or what do I miss ?

Reply to
tibo
Loading thread data ...

Really the right thing would be to send either both, or neither. Most people already have standard cables. Cisco can't predict if you are going to plug the pix into a switch or a router. So, they just send a regular cable - or so I'm guessing taht is their thinking, anyway. If you can't use it for this, and need a cross over, well, you have a cable you can use for something else. Not sure if they still do, but the netgear home firewall routers used to always come with both cables.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

So do PIX 501's, or at least the 250 some-odd that I unpacked a few months ago did. Each came with a yellow straight through cable and an orange crossover cable (and a blue console cable). We were not shorted any cables, as I recall, although a few of the PIXes arrived without all the licenses listed on the label! Bigger PIXes only come with straight cables because the assumption is you are going to plug every port into its own hub/switch and a crossover cable would only get in the way.

As always, YMMV.

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

They don't know if you're plugging it into a switch or router. The router will use the crossover cable while the switch will use the str8-thru cable.

Reply to
Brad

Quite a lot of kit now seems to do auto fixup of MDI MDI-X.

I guess that the pix does not?

3750 for example has a config item

! interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 no ip address no mdix auto !

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.