CPU of new 800, 1800 & 2800 routers?

Does anyone have the CPU specs of Cisco's latest 800, 1800, 2800 and

3800 series routers? I'm looking to buy one for a PPTP server. I need CPU horsepower since everything is done in software.

I tried it with a old 2651 (non XM) I had laying around and achieved

3mb total one way, or about 1.3mb when transferring data full duplex. CPU usage topped at 93%.

I looked over CCO but couldn't find this exact information. I'd like CPU model and Mhz speed, if Cisco posts that information anywhere.

Thanks! Bob

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...
2800 series should suffice unless your are using T3s

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

doesnt have CPU type, but thruput is at:

formatting link

Reply to
stephen

That'll help. Thanks.

Reply to
Rob

Maybe you know all about this and I am heading the wrong way however:-

Are you doing crypto? Looking at the miserable performance I guess that you must be. (Unless that M bytes, or you are using tiny packets I guess)

Quite a few of the new small routers come with crypto hardware (and software at least for some) built in. If this hardware supports pptp crypto then this will help _a lot_.

837, 877, 1800 (I think).

There are also crypto add on cards for some platforms.

Sorry I don't know details off the top of my head and maybe PPTP crypto is not supported on them or something.

In one IPSEC crypto installation that I have with an 837 at one end and a 2611XM at the other the 837 has less than half the CPU utilisation of the 2611XM.

Reply to
anybody43

I do know that the 830, 850 and 870 series all have crypto hardware. I cannot speak for any other model. Sorry.

Reply to
gray.wizard

IPSEC and Crypto is different than GRE/PPTP. It's all done in software.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.