Cisco & Netgear switch trunking

I have a Cisco 3750 with layer 3 switching for the VLANs working fine. I have added a Netgear smartswitch GS748T. I have created the VLANS on the Netgear switch; now I want to set up a trunk (DOT1Q) between the switches. I have the Cisco trunk set up, but I never did a Netgear trunk and am confused by the Web interface for trunking; firstly, should the ports in each VLAN be tagged or untagged. Secondly when setting up a trunk the netgear config screen has an "ID" column and "port numbers" - do I select and ID for each VLAN and tick the port that are in that VLAN? Is there a command line interface for the netgear or does it have to be accessed through the browser? TIA, Ned

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

The "Trunk" in Netgear speak is not "Trunk" in Cisco speak. In Cisco "Trunk" is an interface that carries multiple vlans. In Netgear it is the binding of ports to create a larger pipe, which in Cisco we call a port channel.

Under the port configuration area on the Netgear there should be a way to check off which VLAN's belong to a port. Once you check off multiple VLAN's it automagically creates the "Trunk".

Reply to
Brian V

Yep, the HP method of doing things. :) Amazing how much of their technology leaks out to other vendors.

You want to tag each of your VLANs on the port that is your "trunk" port upstream to your 3750. It'll start doing what you want then.

There is a CLI from what I remember, but the web interface is easier to use.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.