Clocking multiple MFT E1 G703 cards?

Hi all,

I have an issue with multiple MFT E1 G703 cards which are all PPP multilinked. I'm seeing clock slip on the controllers and I suspect the clocking must be incorrect. CCO is not much help for this type of configuration but my thoughts are all the cards need to be clocked from the same source, or is it OK that they can all be clocked separately (end to end pairs)? Config at present :-

A end: no network-clock-participate slot 1 no network-clock-participate slot 2 no network-clock-participate wic 0 no network-clock-participate wic 1 ! controller E1 0/0 (Same for all controllers 0/1-3 1/0-3 2/0-3) clock source internal channel-group 0 unframed !

B end: no network-clock-participate slot 1 no network-clock-participate slot 2 no network-clock-participate wic 0 no network-clock-participate wic 1 ! controller E1 0/0 (Same for all controllers 0/1-3 1/0-3 2/0-3) channel-group 0 unframed ! My thoughts are that at the 'internal' end they should all sync to the same clock source, be that any of the cards. So how do I set up the network clock select/participate commands. Anyone done this scenario and got it working OK?

Happy new Year to the group Bob

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

I don't really understand this myself however since there have been no other responses I will put in my 2p worth and ask my own question after.

I assume that in this situation you use the default of "clock source line" on the controller on both sides but I am not sure. I think that unless you have specially asked the telco to disable clocking that they will do it for you.

However:-

I am presently puzzling over something similar myself.

MFT T1 as PRI installed in 0/0//0 (wic 0)

network-clock-participate wic 0 no network-clock-participate aim 0 no network-clock-participate aim 1

controller T1 0/0/0 framing esf linecode b8zs pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

interface Serial0/0/0:23 no ip address isdn switch-type primary-5ess isdn incoming-voice voice isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager no cdp enable

vgw1#sh netw Network Clock Configuration --------------------------- Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type 10 Backplane GOOD PLL

Current Primary Clock Source --------------------------- Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type 10 Backplane GOOD PLL

My best guess is that this extra clocking stuff (over Plain Old Clocking) is all to do with the Drop and Insert (DI) feature which allows T/E1 channels to be directly 'Copied' between trunks. In that case all participating trunks need to use the same clock source.

Maybe you don't need to use it for ordinary data use of T/E1s.

So my question is:- should I have a

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0

statement.

We have only the single T1 and use is as a PRI as can be seen above.

Maybe I will do a TAC case after the break.

Reply to
anybody43

Hi, I seem to remember reading on CCO that they recommend you specify the clock source even though I think it defaults to the card anyway. As I've said I find the descriptions on CCO somewhat lacking. In my case, because it's G703, one end clocks the other but with three dual cards I'm not sure if multiple clocks are causing the issue.

Happy New Year Bob

Reply to
bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.