Ciscoworks and Custom Reports

Hi All...

I need to get an accurate "available" port (int status = not connected) count on each of 200+ Cisco 2950 switches in our organization. I really would prefer not having to do this manually. We currently use Ciscoworks RME

3.5 to manaqge our equipment and I know I can use it to define custom reports but I can't figure out how to do it..Can anyone toss me a bone :-) ???

TIA for any assistance...

Ray

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

Hi Ray,

Go to RME/Inventory/Mulitservice portdetails

Campus Manager > User Tracking to locate unused ports

-----------------------------------------

You may want to investigate CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials - End-User Guides:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

In article , Ray wrote: :I need to get an accurate "available" port (int status = not connected) :count on each of 200+ Cisco 2950 switches in our organization. I really :would prefer not having to do this manually.

It must be done manually. Hardly any switches are able to tell the difference between having nothing connected (an empty port), or having something connected that leads to an unconnected patch panel, or having something connected that leads all the way to a device that is turned off (or to a NIC that is configured off.)

Perhaps there are some switches out there with built-in TDR that could tell you how much cable are connected to them, but if so then it isn't a Cat 2950.

What might -help- you in your search is to snmpwalk these OIDs:

..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8 (ifOperStatus -- up or down) ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 (ifDescr -- port name) ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9 (ifLastChange -- time port status last changed)

The ifLastChange last change sounds good in theory: after all, an unconnected port would be expected to have a change time of when it was last connected, whereas a device that is just turned off for the day or during someone's holidays would be expected to have a change time within the last few hours or weeks. Unfortunately, on at least some devices, you will find that the change times make little or no sense. You could try, though, as perhaps they are sensible on a Cat2950.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.