Cisco VXR 7200 - Unable to get full duplex link

Hi, I have a Cisco VXR 7200. I have several 100Base TX module cards in it. All of them are running at full duplex/100, except for this one.

It will only run in half/duplex mode. I have tried replacing the card. Replacing the cable. Replace the switch (actually just tried a different switch... a cisco switch even!) it is connected to.

When I hard code the interface to "duplex half", things seem honky dorry. When I hard code the interface to "duplex full", if I connect to the dell switch, the dell detects it as duplex half. The cisco switch auto detects as duplex half. If I hard code the cisco switch to "duplex full" I then get errors.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on here? There are several other identical module cards in this router running at FULL/100, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Verify that the dell switch port and the 7200 port are BOTH configured exactly the same; either both in auto mode or both in 100-full mode.

Any mismatches will result in the port funning in half-duplex mode.

Reply to
Merv

Great idea.. but I don't seem to have a speed command on this interface... what the ?

It is a 100Base TX (PA-FE-TX). I can set duplex on it, but do not seem to have a speed option. Suggestion?

I do, however, have a speed and duplex setting on the 0/0 and 0/1 onboard interfaces... thoughts?

Reply to
Matt

Hi Matt,

It sounds to me like you have an Auto-negotiation mismatch type issue, especially if you are trying to lock down Duplex, but not Speed on that interface at ONE end only. It has been noted that not all devices perform "auto-negotiate" correctly, so you may be runing into a conflict in this area. Whie searching the Cisc Web site I found an excellent table that describes ALL the possible permutations of these, but I do not have that URL on tihs machine (its at work).

Configure the link as Auto at BOTH ends or fully fixed at 100/Full at Both ends, AND re-plug the cable after setting this, but do NOT use a mixture of these settings.

Good luck.............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi Matt,

It may be that the card only has 100 available, with no other speed possible ( I have seen that on an older card in a 4700). In that case you could try all possible manual settings with no Auto mode at all.

Pass.........;-) Are you sure THAT release level of the PA-FE-TX card is approved for use in the VXR? Many years ago I had an Ethernet card that was approved for use in a 4000 and 4500 but not in the 4700 I was trying to get it working. It appeared to work but did strange things (such as heaps of errors).

If you have another port available maybe you can swap it to confirm functionality from the other ends perspective...

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Right on... more research has shown this is only a 100Meg card. I've tried all the possible manual settings which are full-duplex or half-duplex :)

Did that as well.. this is incredibly confusing and frustrating... At full-duplex hard coded on both sides.. and 100 hard coded on the switch I get INPUT ERRORS and CRC errors.

Reply to
Matt

Peter, More testing has shown that it seems like it is actually a problem with the switch ... the cisco switch is not actually doing 100/full. Ick.

Reply to
Matt

And let's make it more interesting! I set the switch again to

100/full BEFORE plugging the cable in.. waited about 5 minutes (Was busy with some other things) and then plugged the cable in.. it's fine now.

What the heck?

Reply to
Matt

Hi Matt,

It may relate to portfast being set one end and not the other. Without portfast it can take 40-50 seconds for a link to become established, but it really relates to what spanning tree is trying to do, so the 5 mins may have allowed things to time out fully and settle down. Sometimes patience can be a pain, but provide good results.........;-)

Cheers...................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.