Cisco VPN Client and UMTS on Windows 7

Hello,

i have a problem with my cisco vpn client (version 5.0.07.00290) on windows 7 32-bit. I´ve installed it on a Dell Latitude E6500. If i use it over my ethernet- or wireless-lan interface, the client works well but if i use the internal umts card, the client connects as usual but no data can be send or received through the tunnel anymore.

I´ve tried to change the mtu value on the mobile interface but the problem still exists ...

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot

Marco

Reply to
Marco Buchholz
Loading thread data ...

Is this a problem that occurs immediately, or does it work for a few minutes and then die?

Reply to
Rob

The problem occurs immediately and the connection is up as long as i close it manually.

Reply to
Marco Buchholz

Ok. I use the same laptop with UMTS internal card, and there is an issue with the Dell driver. It has a network card emulation built in, with a DHCP server functionality that has a lease time of only 5 minutes. This lease is of course expanded every time, but unfortunately Windows (XP in my case) is resetting all kinds of network uses whenever this occurs.

We use VPN via PPTP, and it is lost when this occurs.

Workaround: don't use the Dell drivers, but use drivers from Ericsson. I have asked Dell about this problem but they did not respond.

But when you cannot get it to work at all, you probably have a different issue.

Reply to
Rob

Thank you,

i´ll test a different driver first. I also read about problems, with private ip-ranges like 10.x.x.x (that i get from my provider), but the vpn-client works with win-xp.

Reply to
Marco Buchholz

Marco Buchholz schrieb:

Hi Marco,

you should try with the transparent tunneling set to IPsec over TCP and configure the VPN gateway accordingly. It's not unusual that providers don't support NAT-T IPsec over udp/4500. It's worth to to give it a shot.

Reply to
Uli Link

Am 07.05.2010 15:40, schrieb Uli Link:

Hi Uli,

i´ll try to reconfigure the gateway for this test, but i wonder why the connection works fine on win-xp.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Marco Buchholz

Am 10.05.2010 15:57, schrieb Marco Buchholz:

Hello,

i found the reason for this problem. The cisco vpn client does not support WWAN devices on Windows 7.

It´s described here:

formatting link
I guess i have to wait for a new client-version, that supports this feature.

Reply to
Marco Buchholz

Have you tried the shrew.net client?

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.