Cisco Catalyst 2900

Hello,

I am a newbie have inherited a Catalyst 2900. It seems to have two fiber ports on it; ports 23 & 24. Is there a way to determine if these are 1GB ports? Is there anything slower? I do a 'sh ru' and it lists these ports as Fastethernet 0/23 and 0/24.

Thanks much for your help and patience.

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

doing a "show interface" can help determine capable speeds. also 'show version' or 'show hardware' can help determine the capable speeds for those fiber ports.

Reply to
brickwalls19

If they are Fastethernet ports then they are 100Meg, not GigE.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Hi Dave,

For all Ethernet based ports, Cisco devices display ports as - Ethernet = 10Mb FastEtehrent = 100Mb Gigabit = 1000Mb This is regardless of MEDIA type for that interface.

Exactly what TYPE of 2900 series (there are hundreds of different 2900 models) device is this. This can be obtained by posting the ouput from

dis ver (Display Version of IOS) this tells us a lot about the S/W and some info about the H/W of this device and also sh ip int br (Show ip interface brief) This command gives an abbreviated list of available interfaces (both physical and logical) on that device.

Cheers..........pk.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for all the input. As near as I can tell it's just a 2900XL. I checked the interfaces and they are all Fastethernet. This switch is dated 1998. I'm making the assumption they aren't gig ports because of the age. I guess I was just hoping..

Reply to
dave

In general, the 2924XL switches were all 10/100. Cisco tended not to put gig into the smaller switches until many years afterwards. There was a 1000-Base-X module for the WS-C2924M switch (the 2U high one), but I've never seen one in real-life, most often just 100-Base-FX or ATM links in those ports.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

We've got a 2924 with 2 gig ports but they are SX fiber modules. extremely distinguishable, and like you say - 2U. rather heavy too :)

Reply to
Steve Williamson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.