Cisco 876w performance

Hello,

i setup an cisco 876w on ADSL2+ over ISDN line, but the perfofrmance is somewhat bad in comparison to a "low-end" CPE.

The DSL modem syncs at about 14 mbit/s. I used a simple ftp put/get to a fast server for testing. It seems that the 876 is not able to deliver more than approx. 10 mbit/s downstream, in comparison the low-end CPE is able to deliver the full 14 mbit/s.

The performance in the upstream is the same on both devices about 1 mbit/s.

The configuration is really straight forward: No VPN, no deep packet inspection or firewall rules. Just NAT for all outoging connections to the one external ip address.

When looking at "show process cpu" during the download, the utilization is about 50%.

Could it be that the 876 is not able to deliver the full 16 mbit/s performance?

With kind regards Markus

Reply to
Markus Marquardt
Loading thread data ...

Markus,

Read your contract with ISP, what do they offer and what do they guarantee.

10MBit is awesome good for DSL - basic DSL service is 1.5 MBit if not lower. Plus, DSL depends on the distance between you and DSL SLAM equipment - further you are - less speed you get.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

I know. But when testing with a very simple CPE for home usage (Thomson Speedtouch) on the same line, i get the full 15 mbit/s. Also the modem of the 876 has synched at about 14 mbit/s. So the DSL line seems not to be the limiting factor.

In Germany it's not unusual to get such high speeds.

With kind regards Markus

Reply to
Markus Marquardt

I had the same problem with the internal DSL modem of the 876: slow sync, lot or errors (retries), etc... It also depends on the DSLAM of your provider (I had also problems with Linksys routers and internal modem) The speedtouch is an excellent modem: so I changed to a 871 with an external modem "speedtouch 516i"... No more problems now!

Regards, Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Schneider

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.