Cisco 800 series, long Delay before it starts PPPoE/PPPoA

Hi,

I have a Cisco 857 router.

It works perfectly, except for one small annoyance.... When I power it up. it synces the ADSL line. But then, when line sync is archieved (ATM0) it waits ~ 20-25seconds before it brings up my PPPoE/PPPoA login (dialer)

Is there anything I can do about that?

Thx in advance

Steven

Reply to
Steven
Loading thread data ...

Hi Steven,

Probably not.

The ATM layer is managed by the DSLAM and only YOUR machine is connected to that port so that time is pretty much out of your control, however the PPP layer is handled by your ISP's Network Access Controller, and thats the part that really determines what delay is likely for PPP to be set up. Its my guess that the delay is mainly due to the time it takes for Authentication and Authorization to take place, and this is 100% in the ara of your ISP.

About the only way to improve perfrmance is to stay connected...

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. today it seemed faster, so it could be very well an ISP issue Anyway, thanks for the help

*very happy with my C857 :)

Next thing to experiment with: VPN capabilities ;) I never had a router before that could do VPN on its own (instead of pass-tru)

Greetings, Steven

Reply to
Steven

Hi Steven,

Just in case you are to aware of it, to "test" VPN functionality remember that you need 2 END-POINTS for the VPN, that are configured as a matched pair.........;-) The actual END-POINT configuration for VPN termination really depends on what type of VPN you need/are using, IE BOTH ends of a VPN have to agree on how the VPN is to be set up. The main point to remember about the Cisco Router VPN is that it is for a SITE VPN, not a HOST VPN.

I purchased my Cisco 827 many years ago, and while the version of IOS I am using allows for VPN termination on the Router, I have not yet had a need to configure a SITE specific VPN, as ALL the VPN connections that I need are all HOST based VPN's, IE they are direct to the device on the local LAN that needs to use the VPN. This mode of use requires no special VPN configuration on the Router, as the VPN profile being used at the VPN End Points allows for the NAT environment my Router is using.

Cheers........................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to make a small virtual private dial up networking. (with windows pptp as client) If anywone needs the code here it is: Next thing to try: adding IPsec encrytion

Greetings, Steven

vpdn enable ! ! standaard virtual private dial-up groep vpdn-group 1 accept-dialin protocol pptp virtual-template 1 ! ! ! This virtual interface is set up on the ! router for each connecting client PC interface Virtual-Template1 ip unnumbered fastEthernet 0 ip mroute-cache peer default ip address pool vpdn-ipadressen ppp encrypt mppe auto required ppp authentication ms-chap ms-chap-v2

ip local pool vpdn-ipadressen 192.168.1.200 192.168.1.202

Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.