Cisco 2821 ISR config with Wifi

Hi there,

I just got a Cisco 2821. I am currently using both of the integrated gigabit interfaces for routing (one local LAN with NAT, the other is an external subnet).

I was wondering if it is possible to configure the wifi interface (HWIC-AP) to connect to the local lan. If i do so, would i need to clear the ip settings on the local lan gigabit interface, create a bridge bvi1 and then set the ip settings in the bvi1 interface? Then would it work for NAT as well?

I have never done this before, just wondered if that is how it is done. Does anyone have any example configs for these type of routers?

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack
Loading thread data ...

That's it exactly. If you don't need the wireless on the same subnet then you can just put an IP address on the wireless interface.

I don't have an example to hand, sorry. The config is identical (other then interface ID numbers) for all cisco routers and there will be plenty of example 877 configs around I would think. There was an 877 discussion here a few days ago.

Reply to
bod43

871W actually .... (I was the guilty party).

Here is a summary:

(my intranet vlan is 10 , and this uses very basic authentication, not even sure if I have encryption enabled or not :-)

! ! bridge irb bridge 10 protocol ieee bridge 10 route ip ! interface BVI 10 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.0.0 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly no shutdown ! interface FastEthernet0 description Trunk to Switch 1 spanning-tree portfast switchport mode trunk switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q carrier-delay 10 ! ! ! dot11 syslog ! dot11 activity-timeout client default 1800 ! dot11 ssid MySSID_WiFi vlan 10 authentication open guest-mode authentication key-management wpa wpa-psk ascii 0 mysecretpassword ! !

interface Dot11Radio0 no ip address ! encryption vlan 10 mode ciphers tkip ! ssid MySSID_WiFi ! speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0

36.0 48.0 54.0 station-role root antenna receive diversity antenna transmit diversity world-mode dot11d country CA both ! interface Dot11Radio0.10 description MySSID_WiFi on VLAN 10 encapsulation dot1Q 10 bridge-group 10 bridge-group 10 subscriber-loop-control bridge-group 10 spanning-disabled bridge-group 10 block-unknown-source no bridge-group 10 source-learning no bridge-group 10 unicast-flooding ! ! ! interface Vlan10 description Intranet no ip address bridge-group 10 bridge-group 10 spanning-disabled !

Now that I have a simplified config that I know works, I can start to experiment with more elaborate configs (enabling radiusj server for proper authentication etc).

Reply to
JF Mezei

Excellent, thanks, I will give it a try...

Reply to
Jack

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.