double NAT??

I was playing around at home on my static IP DSL connection with a cisco 1750(IOS 12.1 something) and a PIX 515(6.3(3)) and ran into a problem...

I configured the PIX to do nat as normal from the inside to the outside, translating subnet 192.168.50.0/24 to 192.168.70.0/24. The outside interface of the PIX is IP 192.168.70.7/24, and this is connected to the 1750 fast eth interface which is IP 192.168.70.1/24. The 1750 also has a WIC-1ENET interface with a static Public IP connected to my DSL via PPPoE. I configured NAT also on the 1750 to translate all of subnet 192.168.70.0/24 to my public IP via PAT. The Nat on the PIX is working as I can telnet to the 1750 from a laptop connected the inside interface of the PIX(and sh xlate shows the translation), but I can't get any further. In fact, when doing a sh ip nat trans on the 1750 after trying to connect to the inet, I see nothing. Is there something screwy when trying to NAT a second time to get to the internet?

To verify that the NAT was working correctly on the 1750, I connected my laptop directly to the fast eth inside interface(bypassing the PIX) on the 1750 with a static 192.168.70.0/24 IP, and was able to instantly get out to the inet.

So the PPPoE connection to the inet is definetly working. The NAT on the 1750 is working correctly by itself, and the NAT on the PIX is working correctly by itself, but this does not work all together. Any idea off the top of your head what I could be doing wrong?

-tical-

Reply to
frishack
Loading thread data ...

can you post your PIX config. It may be a misconfiguration in the default gateway

It doesn't matter how many times a packet is nated before reaching it's destination.

Reply to
mcaissie

also make sure you have a default route on the pix and border router.

Reply to
Cliff

I will post the config tonight, thanks for your reply. Off the top of my head, the gateway on the PIX was 192.168.70.1 (the 1750 inside fast eth interface), and the gateway on the 1750 was the dialer1 interface that I'm using to make the PPPoE connection.

Reply to
frishack

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.