wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client

do not buy this item if you want to use VPN

formatting link
thanks, spencer

Reply to
spencerwill.com
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Agree and disagree about the opinion on the link.

Agree: talking to techsupport often takes long time. But three hours is not very bad. It took me several days with mutliple calls to my cell carrier for a phone problem and finally the answer was on a newsgroup, not techsupport of the carrier.

Disagree: I just made my wrv54G work since yesderday. It tooks me 8 hours in total to make it work, but 7 of those 8 hours were really on my Cisco router : I set it wrong so the Linksys could not connect to.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote

I would agree with that view, on the basis that these products are so cheap that if they don't work out of the box it is reasonable to expect users to return them (if they can) or discard them (if they can't).

Three hours is a very long time on the phone!

A great deal of today's IT equipment is sold on that basis, as there is no real tech support.

I've spent many hours on the phone to Linksys "tech support"; the unfortunate person sitting on the phone in the Phillipines can only offer replies out of a script with ZERO understanding of anything, and their ultimate suggestion is usually along the lines of "reformat the hard disk on everything and reinstall all software". I suppose one should be grateful, since this "support" is more than most cheap IT vendors offer. Nothing from Linksys I ever had a problem with was ever resolved with their TS, and the equipment was either chucked away, returned, or used in some other app where it worked.

At the prices one pays, no vendor can afford to provide any tech support.

The best single thing anybody can do these days is not even try to use any product out of the box before upgrading the firmware to the latest version from the website.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.