catOS on 4506

I want to run VMPS but read that only CATOS will do it on the 4500s. Is that true?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

See figures 10.5 and 10.6 at

formatting link

As a more tip if you have a linux machine you can run OpenVMPS. I tried it, it's fine. That might solve your problem because Cisco switches are requested just to act as VMPS(open) clients.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

formatting link

Reply to
tony

As far as I know with the IOS you have anyway the VMPS client and using OpenVMPS you are OK.

Moreover do you know if the "blocking ports" policy of the server applies to VLANs? The scenario I have in mind is:

You have rooms where sockets are less than people who need to use them. So virtually you could use 2 switches (that can not behave as VMPS client) with VLANs and strictly tie each port of the

1st switch to a port on the 2nd switch. Then you can go from the 2nd switch to a switch that act as VMPS client. If you could restrict access (VMPS way,i.e. supposing just one MAC address per VLAN - ok VLAN weren't born for this purpose) to an entire VLAN you would avoid the use of the second switch using the trunk link and would avoid to use a lot of cables to connect the ports of the 2nd switch to the VMPS client.

The only disadvantage of this solution is that you share the bandwidth of the trunk between the 2 switches but if you use a gigabit link, is not such a problem.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

OpenVMPS you are OK.

VMPS is clearly on the way out of not being supported by Cisco, it was never really supported, some historical info somebody posted once is that some large customer asked for it, cisco did it for them, and then they switched gears.

I wouldn't implement it now.

The replacement would be 802.1X. Modern WinXP and Mac OSX (and unix workstations) all can support .1X. You can assign the VLAN from .1X during the authentication phase and you can disable it per port if you really need to for non-workstation type gear (ie. printers, etc.).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Reply to
tony

Yes either way.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.