Catalyst 3550 & BGP

After searching through this newsgroup for a while, I realize this subject has been beat to death, but I have a little more specific question....

My company is building out our network inside the NY/NJ metro area. We are going to be offering Ethernet over Copper, among other services. Since we will be collocated in one of the main hotels in NYC we can get IP pretty cheap.

We were planning on putting in a Catalyst 3550 to do all the switching and VLANing for our clients (at least for now). We will have an uplink connected to our upstream carrier at 100mbps (again to start out with), and will be delivering the clients 10mbps chunks.

As I said before, we can get the IP pretty cheap inside our Colo, so we are planing to expand to about 2 or 3 upstream providers within the next couple months.

We want to be able to get our own IP Blocks from ARIN (which we have already requested), and broadcast that out to our upstream providers so we can assign our clients those IP's. Also, we want to be able to accept and pass along BGP broadcasts from our clients.

Is this too much for the Catalyst 3550 (running SMI but I don't think that makes a difference)? Should we put in a router between our 3550 and the upstream provider?

We are probably going to put in a bandwidth shaper (netequalizer.com) in between the 3550 and our upstream provider to limit bandwidth on the VLANs, but if we need to put a router in, we can put that between the

3550 and the router if necessary.
Reply to
neonerz
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to run this by Cisco's 3550 Expert.

Mr. Roberto Salazar, CCIE

Email: bosalaza *at* cisco.com

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

If you are going to connect to multiple ISPs, it means you have your own AS? Or will you use a private AS number that all ISPs accept and overwrite. Will you do the same towards your customers? As you want to be transit?

This means that you will run BGP with n neighbors to your n ISPs. You will have x neighbor to you x customers. So, you will have n + x BGP peerings. I guess you will not get the whole Internet routing table, otherwise you will have a memory problem. You may not want to be transit for your ISPs. So, you will need to do some "route-mapping"

So, it depends what you want.

You can do simple policing regarding the bandwidth. If you need to provide different classes of Services, I guess, you may want to step away from the

3550 and add a dedicated router for the BGP, QoS and have the switch do the switching.

FW

Reply to
NO_spamm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.