802.1X v/s Port Security

Hello Gurus,

I am a networking student, currently reading articles on port security and 802.1X standard. I have a question : If I were to implement secure access to ports around my college area, which is the best approach ?

After reading some articles, it seems that 802.1X is a better option which requires additional equipment like a radius server. Whereas port security is self sufficient. I would have adopted 802.1X but our campus has some PCs with Windows 2000 and even WinNT platforms. I undertsand that these OS are not 802.1X complaint and upgrading them is not a feasible option.

With port security, I would require to enter the mac addresses manually which would be a very tedious task.

Are there any other manageable options available? Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.

cheers Ankit

Reply to
apsolar
Loading thread data ...

You have the chance yo install a third party 802.1x supplicant on the

2000/nt hosts. Bye, Tosh.
Reply to
Tosh

I found a supplicant for windows 2000, but wasn't able to find one for NT. Do you know of any third party supplicants for NT.

cheers Ankit

Reply to
apsolar

Look for odyssey, it should support nt also. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

Tosh a écrit :

Anyway Windows XP supplicant for 802.1x is buggy and it is recommended to use 3rd party supplicant to do 802.1x authentication.

Most of the time 802.1x authentication occurs too late (with that supplicant), and Windows has already failed to get an address through DHCP

Reply to
Florent Maffet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.