Cat 6500 - weird boot behaviour

Hi All,

I have a 6500 in CatOS mode behaving strangely.

When I reload the device it comes up without any config and a Console>

prompt. A few seconds later 'auto-config' kicks in and it loads a config from a file on the bootflash. The prompt then changes to what it should be.

I can't see any obvious config differences that would explain this. I would like to know:

1) Why isn't it saving/loading the running config automatically as per every other CatOS device I have used. 2) If this is a software feature, how do I turn it off?

cheers,

Ben C

Reply to
Ben
Loading thread data ...

It's been a while but you might want to look into the boot variables.

I recall looking this many years ago. IIRC The problem was that the config did not get saved to the file and required an extra step.

formatting link
This output is from a Catalyst 6500 that runs CatOS:

6500_CATOS (enable) show boot BOOT variable = bootflash:,1; CONFIG_FILE variable = slot0:switch.cfg .....
Reply to
anybody43

Yeh, check out the boot variables, there's nothing there that looks suspicious expect the CONFIG_FILE variable itself. Can't find any obvious commands or Cisco documents that deal with this specific issue. Anyone?

Reply to
Ben

OK. Well delete the entry!!!!

It will then revert to default behaviour.

Reply to
anybody43

No it won't necessarily, no it doesn't, and yes I tried that before posting.

Reply to
Ben

in enable mode try:

show boot

clear boot auto-config

show boot

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.