Can't get vlans to work after daisychaining a second switch

I have a 4507R at the core of my network with trunks extending to the access layer switches (3560G) where I group ports by vlan. I want to daisychain a second switch and have the same ability to group ports by vlan as I do on the first switch. I defined a second trunk port on switch A, defined a trunk port on switch B and plugged them in using a crossover cable. I then assiged a port on switch B to a specific vlan and plugged in my laptop but I never received a DHCP IP address. It works fine from switch A so what could I have done wrong?

thanks

Reply to
1crazyrican
Loading thread data ...

Have you setup the VLANs on the second switch? or are you using VTP to advertise/distribute them.

Try a

on the second switch

Steve

Reply to
Steven Carr

Technically, provided you are trunking the vlans properly, vtp shouldn't matter. While I would definitely agree that vtp is the way to go to keep a nice succinct network, I have seen many designs where it is not used. Once you do a show vlan to see what vlans he knows about, are you sure the vlan is up (show ip int brief) assuming this is a layer 3 switch. Additionally, do a show trunk on both sides and make sure you aren't pruning anything back on either side. Lastly, may want to manually set an IP and do some pings just to make sure. You didn't create a SVI on the vlan on the new switch right? Doing so may confuse the issue, especially when dealing with ip-helpers.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for your help. I did a show trunk and notices that the vlan I was having trouble with was not showing up on the list. I used the command "switchport trunk allow vlan" and I added the vlan that was missing. This did the trick. I'm sure there is a bigger problem but at the moment I have no time to continue working on it.

thanks!

Reply to
1crazyrican

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.