bootflash

I am confused about where cisco stores the configuration file, rommon, ios image etc...

I have a 4506 with a flash card. Is that where the ios image is stored?

when I do a copy run or copy flash ?

bootflash: Copy to bootflash: file system cat4000_flash: Copy to cat4000_flash: file system ftp: Copy to ftp: file system http: Copy to http: file system null: Copy to null: file system nvram: Copy to nvram: file system rcp: Copy to rcp: file system running-config Update (merge with) current system configuration slot0: Copy to slot0: file system startup-config Copy to startup configuration system: Copy to system: file system tftp: Copy to tftp: file system

what is all these options?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

copy to flash if you want to create a -new- file.

copy to running-config if you want to merge the source file with the active configuration

copy to startup-config if you want to affect the configuration that the device will boot with next powerup or reset.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The configuration file is stored in the nvram: device, some seperate flash ROM on the motherboard somewhere. rommon depends quite a bit on the device, but usually some Flash ROM on the motherboard. IOS is usually stored in the big Flash ROM bank whatever that maybe on a device.

Yes.

copy run tftp

copy flash tftp ??

Or spell out all the long drawn out ones that textbooks usually tell you to use.

Fairly obvious for most of them? Fairly useless to give you all those options, but cisco generalizes almost to the point to the Unix systems that they originated on instead of giving you the few options that are usually used.

Ie. you wouldn't want to copy anything to null: but its probably there for testing purposes. slot0: is the same as flash: usually. You wouldn't want to ever write anything into system: but its there for diag purposes, somebody may want to read something out of system:

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.