BGP Stub Network interconnection to LAN

Guys & Girls I'm seeking a second opinion on the following:

2 routers with two different BGP connections. These 2 routers are linked by a iBGP link. The routers are inturn connected to the "core" of a network, comprised of 2 high perf layer 3 switches, by 2 links. Left router connected to right switch, right router conected to right switch. Currently default routes are advertised from the routers to the switches, therefore all traffic arriving on the right switch will be routed to the right router, were BGP routes will be checked. If the peering is better on the left router traffic will be forwarded via the iBGP link to the left router, and then exit.

The question is one of redundancy and load balancing. I'm thinking of implementing cross connections between the left switch and right router and vice versa. IS there anyway in which a routing decision could occur at the switch, inorder to cut down on the number of hops, rather than using the iBGP link. Or shall I just not bother, have the powerful routers deal with the routing and live with 50% (given equal peering of both BGP links) of the traffic having an extra hop. Given this sceanrio the mesh links could have a lower routing priority than the direct links, serving as redundant paths increasing availability.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Reply to
jansenreyes
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.