Beginner's Networking Query - this may or may not be a problem

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this problem! I work for a small community group and since I joined I have tried fixing any problems we have with the network even though I haven't really any training. Anyway, recently the Internet keeps cutting off for periods of 30-45 minutes throughout the day. Each time I turn the equipment on and off (this is the limits of my training) and eventually it will start to work again. Sometimes, however there will be one computer which says "unable to connect to internet. IP address already in use" or something along these lines. It can be quite frustrating when everyone at work is moaning at me that the Internet's not working and I'm not really sure what I can do about it. The setup we have is as follow:

Broadband line goes to ADSL Gateway (Linksys BEFDSR41W - 10.10.2.121) which is linked to Linksys Firewall/Router (BEFSX41 - 10.10.1.121).

From this firewall all computers are linked as well as network printer

and server. Server has details of Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 10.10.2.121 and DNS 10.10.1.10.

Would it be possible to take the firewall out of this equation and still be secure. If that was to happen would I then need to change the server's details to reflect the IP address of the Gateway rather than Firewall? Also, can anyone see any problems with this set-up as to why the Internet keeps going down? Is it possible that the equipment is faulty at all? Are Linksys quite bad at making routers?

If anyone can provide any help or point me to some really useful articles I will be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks, Russ Slater

Reply to
slaterino
Loading thread data ...

firewall all computers are linked as well as network printer

Hi Russ, The comment about having an "IP address already in use" makes me think you have duplicate IP address assignments on your network. Duplicate IP addresses can cause all kinds of havoc. Have you checked to see if you do have multiple devices using the same IP address? If I were you, I would begin by checking the IP addresses on every device in your network (I'm assuming it's a pretty small network) and verify that every device is configured with a unique IP address.

-Dan

Reply to
dtpike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.