ASA5505

Can the Cisco ASA5505 limit SMTP attachment sizes on emails.

Since installing ASA, Exchange will not accept attachments at 13mb's. Exchange has been checked and re-checked.

Thanks

Reply to
RonF
Loading thread data ...

What is the error message?

Reply to
alexd

Is there a NDR? Where is it being generated from?

Reply to
Artie Lange

Sorry for delay.

Yes it appears to be coming from Exchange:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: quickbooks Sent: 1/25/2009 11:17 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

' snipped-for-privacy@domain.com' on 1/25/2009 11:20 PM 552 5.2.3 DATA size exceeds maximum permitted

Thanks

Reply to
RonF

Well I can say that the ASA is not the culprit here. The ASA would not know what error 552 would be, one question, do you relay your mail through your provider? Perhaps Comcast?

Reply to
Artie Lange

Again, thanks.

The email is filtered inbound by Postini. I've checked with them and they say their limit is like 75gb so nothing there.

Reply to
RonF

I can see a couple of ways to troubleshoot this and determine for sure if the exchange server is causing the limit :-

1. Enable logging on the exchange server. Since at least Exchange 2000 there has been extensive logging built in. you need to turn on what you want - and remember to turn it off when done.
  2. By capturing the network traffic from the exchange server. You will be able to see if it is originating the error message. If you cannot do this on the network you can run Wireshark on the exchange server. Should you install Wireshary on your Server? Well I cannot tell you that however - I have used Wireshark extensively and have not yet broken anything installing it. Your mileage May Vary.
  3. Oh of course - you can capture on the pix. Sorry ASA - I presume that this is still in the ASA. This however will be more difficult to work with than Wireshark I would think however you dont have to mess with your server:)
Reply to
bod43

Thanks again. I will do this as I need to find the problem. I posted here as thought that Cisco might have put something in the ASA devices I was unaware of.

Again, thanks for the input.

Reply to
RonF

Since you get the 5XX response the message is leaving Exchange via the SMTP connecter and it is attempting to deliver to the final destination. Since Exchange munges the NDRs so you don't see where the problem is, look at the headers of the NDR to see if it is going through another server. The size restriction may be on the recipient's mail system and not yours.

Thanks. Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.