Alternatives to Cisco and IOS

I am looking for a Internet router/firewall in which I can programmically configure. I don't need any special "functionallity" in the unit, just the standard types of features one gets in the low end home unit. The one feature I do need is the ability to easily configure the unit via my own custom Windows/Linux program.

From my understanding of IOS, the Cisco 881 or 851 is a perfect solution. There is one problem, my customers are mom and pop folks that cannot see purchasing such expensive hardware. I am wondering... Might someone here know of hardware other then Cisco that has a programmer interface to configure the unit? I know they all have web interfaces that I could programmically interact with, but I would like something a bit more stable and consistent.

If this is the wrong forum for such a question, which I am guessing it is, any recommendations on what forum is the right one?

Reply to
Cartoper
Loading thread data ...

Buy some hardware with big enough RAM/Flash -

formatting link
- install openwrt and modify it as you want. Just keep in mind GPL license if you want to modify someone's soft.

Reply to
SÅ‚awomir Kawa

Sound like a job for IP Cop. I have one running on a Pentium III

333gHz for a couple of years. When you install it, it installs its on distribution of Linux. It is easy to admin. It has VPN etc.

formatting link
Mom and Pop will love you.

Reply to
tman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.