additional hop in layer2 connection

Hi!

I have a very strange problem with 2 cisco routers connected over layer 2 cisco switches (catalyst 6500). Both routers are connected over a VLAN and they see each others IP- and MAC-address in the arp cache (they can ping each other). But when I traceroute from one to the other, I see a an additional hop

• * * before I see the ip-address of the other end (this happens on both routers). Also when I mirror the switchports where the routers are connected, I only see traceroute udp packets with TTL=2. I do not see the TTL=1 packets, because of this strange internal hop. This causes big problems with HSRP, because HSRP has TTL=1. And this first hop is this internal hop, so HSRP packets never come to the switch (and not to the other router).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Christian

Reply to
christian maier
Loading thread data ...

It was the IPS (Intrusion Prevention System)! This blocked UDP with TTL=1.

"christian maier" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news.aic.at...

Reply to
Christian Maier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.